The Z Visa

The Z Visa is a single-entry visa which is valid for 30 days after date of entry into China. This visa allows the holder to apply for a Residence Permit. To apply for the Z visa the following items are required at the processing stage in your local embassy:

  • Passport information page
  • Degree certificate (the actual certificate, not transcript, which the Embassy will need to stamp to authenticate)
  • TEFL certificate
  • Passport-size photo.

Temporary Residence Permit

Once your Z Visa is grated and issued you must take all original Z Visa documents with you when you travel to China. Upon arrival in China with your Z Visa your next step is to register with your local police station. An appointment should be made within 24 hours. This is a legal requirement and applicants should take their passports along with other documentation relating to work contracts, Z Visa and accommodation. After the interview is complete an accommodation or residence registration certificate is supplied and you can apply for your residence permit application. The residence permit that gives you the legal right to live in China and functions like a multiple-entry visa, allowing you to leave the country and return without an additional visa as long as the permit is valid. The Foreigner Residence Permit, typically good for one year and renewable annually, is standard issue for the majority of foreigners working in China.

For further information on visas and to apply visit your closet Chinese Embassy website. You can see the links to some of the Embasseys below.

Links to Embassy Websites


Be sure to view some videos from a selection of English teachers in China. Hear their views, listen to their stories and receiv useful information.

Video Vault


why chinaTeaching English offers excellent opportunities to travel, work, learn a new language and culture and make friends from all over the world. China is a booming economy and English teachers are in big demand. If you would like to find out more visit the FAQs section.

Frequently Asked Questions


Stay connected and find out whats happening at! Get regular job postings direct to your email as well as information, advice and news. You can unsubscribe at anytime.


Stay connected and find out whats happening at TeachZing on Social Media. If you are an English teacher in China be sure to tag us in your photographs.


Teach English in China   Teach English in China   Teach English in China   Teach English in China



Back to Top